Sunday, July 18, 2010

Covering my hair?

I'm married and I'm Jewish and I don't cover my hair.

AHHHHH.

I mean to say: like all the other married women in my family, and most of the married women I know, I don't cover my hair. I don't want to cover my hair on a regular basis. I like my hair out and about.

However, I am going to shuls nearby that are more observant than me and I have been wondering if I should cover my hair when I'm at shul. When I would go to the Modern Orthodox shul in my neighborhood in Chicago, I would cover my hair because I wanted people to know I was married (it's kind of a single's scene sometimes) as well as out of respect of the customs of the shul. I know a few people who cover their hair only at shul, even at a Conservative shul. It feels weird to potentially wear a hat only at shul, but then again most men I know only weird their kippah at shul, too.

There's been a lot of buzz on the internet lately about women covering their hair, which has made me really think about it. If I go to one of these shuls and don't cover my hair, I am making a very strong statement. I also run the risk of people being unwilling to eat in my house (because for some reason not covering your hair - though it's not a law - will make people question your kashrut).

This is also compounded with the fact that I generally don't like the way I look in hats, and I have short hair which makes it challenging to use a scarf.

Redefining Rebbetzin posted today a link to a site (The Style Underground) where a woman not only makes scarves but also has videos on how to use them in interesting ways. Most of the techniques require having a ponytail to serve as a base for the wrap, but I could probably pull off this one:



I'm new to the community so nobody would know whether or not I always cover my hair (at shul or all the time). I'm definitely not going to cover my hair all the time, that would not be my style - although it kind of was my style freshman year of college. But maybe I will try out covering it at shul, or maybe just at some shuls, .... I DON'T KNOW. This is too much for me.

Maybe if I find a really cute scarf before Shabbat it will help me make up my mind.

No comments:

. . .
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...