Tuesday, January 29, 2008

More Pinch Pots

Today I worked with the red clay:



Seven red clay pots to match my seven porcelain pots.




I didn't really give these textures yet - I realized it's easier to do it when the clay is a little harder, so I'll let them dry a couple of hours before I start carving in (I literally just finished them and rushed to post).




My "pinched" pot of this series. This one kind of looks like an apple. You can't tell from this picture but it's a lopsided pot. I really like when they're asymmetrical. It's not really practical but I like the way it looks.

I'm getting better at forming the pots. At first I was just trying to pinch out the sides and then work with it, but now I realize you have to work with it from the beginning. It's hard to explain because I don't quite know what I've figured out yet, but you have to start negotiating the clay from the moment you squish your thumb into the ball. Very interesting.

No comments:

. . .
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...