Thursday, January 31, 2008

Doodles

My grandma calls all of my work "doodles" except for ceramics. I always think it's funny. When I told her I was going to do the mural, she said "you're getting paid to doodle on the wall, how often are you allowed to do that?"

---

Here are some real doodles from my new sketchbook. I have been doodling in class on the margins of my papers since I was in elementary school, all with a very similar theme. Now I am putting the doodles into a sketchbook so I can keep them. It helps me to listen/pay attention if I'm doing something with my hands - when I stare at the teacher I sometimes zone out.

This drawing was done while I was in the parking lot, about to get out and go to class. I saw a really cool branch on a tree and drew it:



This is the doodle I made in class, inspired by the tree:



---

Today I did my weekly volunteering at the children's hospital. I spent most of my time there drawing with kids using just construction paper and markers - we did have some foam stickers and stamps, but most of the kids went for the simple paper and markers. I did my own drawing while helping them with their supplies. The kids mostly did not want to talk while they were working, so I sometimes commented on their work but mostly stuck with mine. We did have some conversations about Wii games, Wedkinz (virtual pets that I hadn't heard of until today), basketball, etc.

Anyway, I didn't keep the drawing I made, but it was pretty intricate. I made a doodle inspired by that later today in class.



This one is a little more organized than the drawing I did at the hospital, since that one was mostly me playing with stamps and colors and trying to give the kids some ideas.

I decided to post pictures of doodles instead of more pinch pots - I did finish the pots but they all kind of look the same so I imagine that's not that interesting. More clay posts when I have something interesting!

No comments:

. . .
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...