Monday, February 25, 2008

Perfect Ending

I wrote about my ridiculously terrible experience interviewing at the school in NYC a couple of weeks ago.

Before I tell you the end of the story, I want to tell you two things I learned this weekend about that school while in Chicago.

#1: That school was interviewing literally every applicant... one at a time, in 20 minute interviews, no matter how far away the applicant lived. I thought I was special for getting an interview, but I wasn't. At least the school in Chicago had a whole day planned for us - if you're going to make an interview mandatory for every single applicant, at least make it worth their time, you know?

#2: At the end of my interview in NYC, the woman said that she would let me know in 2-3 weeks, 3 weeks at the most. At that point I was like, wow, good thing I got my interview in before they made decisions. This weekend, I found out that they weren't finished interviewing there (because I met people who hadn't gone in for their interviews yet). Therefore, I came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to get into that school, because why would she promise to contact me before they'd even finished interviewing if they were planning on accepting me.

And then I came home to a letter from the school.

"I am sorry that your application was unsuccessful. I wish you luck in your future endeavors."

Excuse me? My application was not "unsuccessful." The application went through. The application was successful. You have rejected me. At least have the cojones to reject me without being passive-aggressive. What. Ever.

What REALLY pisses me off about this whole thing was that obviously they were going to reject me. They knew before I got there that they didn't want me in their school. I showed up, she took me in late, didn't apologize, wasn't interested in me, hadn't finished reading my application, didn't remember who I was. They didn't offer a tour of the campus, an outline of their program, or any specifics about anything at all. And Yet. They still decided it was worth it to waste my time and make me fly all the way up to New York just so they could confirm that they were going to reject me.

Anyway, at least that's over with. I'm going to try to focus on the positive experience I had at the school in Chicago.

No comments:

. . .
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...