Thursday, May 6, 2010

Labneh



I made labneh to bring to class on Sunday as part of an Israeli-style breakfast I was putting together with my breakfast teammate. We had labneh, hummus, pita, eggs, and tomato and cucumber salad. It was a hit.

Labneh is really easy to make. I'm making it again next week actually for my final critique in ceramics (it's a potluck and you're encouraged to bring your food in a dish you made this semester).

My labneh recipe:

1 tub of plain, unsweetened yogurt
salt

1. Mix salt into the yogurt, to taste.
2. Put a colander over a deep bowl, layer the colander with cheesecloth, and dump the yogurt into the cheesecloth.
3. Leave this for over 24 hours. I put it in the fridge but apparently it doesn't need to be in the fridge (and possibly some of the sourness comes from the spoiling yogurt haha)
4. Turn over into a bowl/plate/whatever.
5. Dump some olive oil on it. At this point adding zatar might be tasty but I didn't have any.
6. Eat with pita (and salad).

This is now the second type of cheese that I know how to make. I also make mozzarella. Okay, I have made it a few times. In any case, I have some classmates who want to come over to make their own mozzarella cheese with me, and I think that could be a very fun afternoon thing to do (and then eat some cheese with fresh tomatoes and basil, yum).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loooove labneh!!!

Vx

. . .
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...