Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Make your own "Wristies"


(Image AND idea credit: mayamade.blogspot.com)

Ah ha!

I saw someone wearing these recently and she said she bought them at a store in the Village.  I said, wait, aren't those just sleeves from an old sweater with a thumb hole cut in them?  She said, ummmmmm maybe.  Debunking a purchase like that to a fellow art therapist probably wasn't the nicest thing I could have done (since now she knows how she could have made her own for free), but maybe now she'll make her own in many different colors and styles!

The ones on Maya Made are pleated, but you definitely don't have to do that to enjoy the wristies.

This reminds me a lot of the legwarmers my friend from grad school wore one day.  She said she just wanted to keep her legs warm in the Chicago winter but be able to slip them off once she got inside, but then left them on because they were cute.  So there you have it.  Legwarmers and wrist warmers.  Warmth never really goes out of style I guess!

So I decided to make my own!


Okay, they are knee-high socks instead of an old sweater because before moving to New York I donated all my old things and had nothing to recycle for this project.  Instead I went to H&M and bought some cheap, warm socks and cut them the same way.  I didn't pleat them because the top of the socks was stretchy enough.

At some point I may hem them because I don't trust the jagged edges not to unravel when I decide to wash them.  But they are warm and nice!  (Especially since our apartment still doesn't have heat!)

(PS: That awesome bowl on my desk is by Laura Zindel, and was a wedding present - along with three other Laura Zindel beauties :) )

No comments:

. . .
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...