Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Wandering Jew & Friends


This is apparently the name for this plant. My supervisor gave me clippings of her wandering jew plant for a termination present (with this cool shiny pot). Apparently this is a cool hanging plant because it will grow long purple-and-green stripey vines if you let it. I planted this one yesterday, too. This plant also comes from my supervisor's grandmother's garden, and is currently hanging out with its other cousin on the north side of the bay window shelving area. (It's not really a bay window but there are three of them in a round-ish configuration and I don't know what to call it other than that)

I love purpley plants! I didn't realize that sometimes leaves would be other colors. So then when I went to the gardening store with a friend from class, I bought two more purpley plants.


This one is a succulent whose leaves kind of look like cabbage, frilly with purple edges. I thought it was very pretty. Also, it doesn't need full sunlight or much watering, so I thought it would do well on the south side of my little bay window shelf area.




I'm not sure what this plant is called ("Splash" ?) but it has green and purple splashed leaves. This one is with the succulent on the south side. They get plenty of sun but it indirect for most of the day.

I had a dream this morning that this splash plant shriveled up in the sun, so I moved it out of the sun and it started growing roots that took over the pot but no leaves ... just lots and lots of roots.

Thinking about all of these plants reminds me of the plants that showed up in my work the summer before I applied to graduate school. I was working at a pre-college program and investigating the effects the Jewish environment had on the visual artists in the program and was participating in many of the projects. One of the projects was to create an artist's book, which I never finished, but which had many pictures of leaves and plants woven into the ova-inspired blobs I was also making at that time. So... again... plants and fetuses. Also, remember the species projects I was working on in the fall.

Anyway, that is why I am planting things right now. I hope everything will last and I hope it will allow me to go further in depth with this plant work.

No comments:

. . .
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...