Friday, August 15, 2008

Need help! (cards)

I decided that I liked watercolors so much I was going to make some little cards and paintings to sell on etsy.  It's really fun making the cards and I think the little paintings I made came out well.  The problem is the text looks terrible (in my opinion).  Well, judge for yourself:


This one I tried to paint block letters with a brush... my hand was shaking as it always does.


This one I used the same technique to make the text as I did to make the lines on the outline of the pomegranate.


This one I did the same as the card above. This isn't a card, though...

JewishGuy says the text looks better with the second technique.  I think my handwriting isn't nice enough.

Definitely, I will start writing before I paint, because I spent a good amount of time on the pomegranate in the first card and then the text looks like crap.

I was thinking, maybe I could print the text on the paper first and then paint around it, but the problem with this is that I need to soak and stretch the paper before I paint on it.  
  • I can't put wet paper through the printer, 
  • I can't put it through the printer once it's stretch (because it's taped to a board), 
  • if I put it through the printer before I soak and stretch then the ink will run as I soak it.  
  • If I print on it after I paint there is a chance it will print on top of my painting, although this might be the most feasible solution.  I could plan it so the painting doesn't go above a certain line on the card.

I wonder if this would be different on a laser printer?

I just don't know!  But I am excited that I am being productive!

For those who can't read Hebrew, the first two cards say "L'Shana Tova" which is usually translated to "Happy New Year" although it's really "To a good year."  The bottom painting is an excerpt from Song of Songs:

Let us go early to the vineyards
Let us see if the vine has flowered
If its blossoms have opened,
If the pomegranates are in bloom.
There I will give my love to you.


I'll just have to keep experimenting.

No comments:

. . .
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...