Friday, May 13, 2011
Did some work on the patio today.
I have spent more money on the garden than I had anticipated, but I think I've stretched it further than last year. I made planters out of tin cans, twine, and beads I pulled off of an old necklace and hung cheap flowers in them. So I guess hanging these flowers really only cost me what the flowers themselves cost me, and it was $2.99 for a pack (of four plants), so ... what you see in this image cost about 75c. Not bad. I have five of these hanging around, and then the leftover three marigold plants were put in an aluminum bucket I got at a flea market.
Mostly I am trying to do the actual plants for as cheap as possible because of my tendency to kill things. I bought some plant food today so I fed my plants, which I will try to do every Friday. But almost everything in the garden has been started from seeds or are super cheap (like the flowers). Because all of the sprouts I started in April died while we were out of town, I am starting from scratch outside - but the spinach is already sprouting, so I have hopes the rest will follow suit soon. This is why I'm doing it cheaply... okay, so all of my sprouts died (except the peppers), I'll just start over, no big deal! I don't mind the "wasted" effort, because the process is the fun part for me, not necessarily the product
Yesterday I put up the solar powered lights and last night it was so pretty...
I can't wait until we're finally finished and I can take pictures!